Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Review #10 - elfresco

Thursday March 13, 2008
Caesar Salad
Bentleigh, Victoria


It was the second day of our trip to Melbourne and we had ventured out (some would say kind of stupidly) on a shopping trip on a day with a forecast maximum of 39°C. To say it was hot is a little bit of an understatement. The trip involved a bus trip to the train station and two train trips, followed by a short walk from the station through Bentleigh.

After Jeremy had made his purchases, we ventured across the street to find a cold drink and a place to hide from the sun for a while. We found a little cafe that looked quiet-ish and friendly and found a nice breezy table by the window.

Being a Thursday, it was of course Caesar Salad Thursday! Plus, I am finding that sometimes I now purposely seek out caesar salads just so that I can blog about them. It's fun.

Since we were a little heat affected, we forgot about taking a photo of the menu, and we also didn't think to write down what it said, but there were two options available. A regular caesar salad, or a marinated chicken caesar salad. Since the marinated chicken didn't really sound like a good option for me, I chose the regular salad.


When Jeremy ordered for me, he asked for the standard "hold the croutons" and the owner very kindly offered to throw in some extra anchovies. Who am I to say no to that?!?

Overall, it was a very tasty salad. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As far as scoring this one, we'll start with ingredients. Full marks here. All the important components were present and accounted for, and all were good quality. The poached egg in particular was fantastic.

I'm deducting a half mark for taste, because although nice, the dressing was too tangy and it had a tendency to overpower the other tastes.

I'm giving full marks for presentation, because as you can see from the photo, it was beautifully arranged.

For value for money, I deducted half a mark, because it was very small. I neglected to write down the price, but I seem to remember that it was over $15, which for such a small quantity is on the expensive side.

Last but not least, we get to service. Unfortunately there is another loss of half a mark here due to an unfortunate incident with my iced chocolate. Jeremy ordered a soy iced chocolate for me, and asked them to leave out the cream, but the lady that made it up missed the "soy" part of the order. It was a regular cow's milk drink. Lucky for me I realised on the first mouthful, and they very apologetically made up a soy drink for me instead.

So this one scores a very respectable and well deserved 8½ out of 10. Just a pity the service score let it down, because the salad really was delicious.

Score Summary
Taste: 3.5
Ingredients: 3
Presentation: 1
Service: 0.5
Value for Money: 0.5
 
Total: 

8½/10

No comments: